Skip to main content

This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp *Warning Spoilers*

A Book Published in 2016: This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

I don't want to take a lot of time on this because 1. I don't have much of an opinion and 2. this book wasn't very long. It did check a box off my list though, so we're getting there people. I know I'm behind, but that's something to discuss at a different time.

10:00 a.m. The principal of Opportunity High School finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.
10:02 a.m. The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.
10:03 a.m. The auditorium doors won't open.
10:05 a.m. Someone starts shooting.

Told from four different perspectives over the span of fifty-four harrowing minutes, terror reigns as one student’s calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.
 

Alright let's do this! I'm not going to lie I thought this book would have more action.  Everyone is locked into the auditorium, so it cuts down on the places to hide. Which feels weird to say because it's about a school shooting. I mean how much action should I really be hoping for? I also felt that there were quite a few holes in the story line. Take for instance the "incident" between Tyler and Sylvia, he assaulted her right? I felt that tidbit could've been answered rather simply than just "use you're imagination". I also felt that Tyler's issues could've been explored much deeper because he for sure had some sort of mental health issues that could've been touched on. Like I said a lot of holes.

The good about this was that the situation itself is heart pounding. You will have no problem turning the page in some parts, and then in others you'll dread it. It had a very powerful up and down motion that I think did not at all contribute to its potential. I will give Nijkamp an A for effort  with pacing. She achieves it sometimes and then goes back to being quite dull. Nijkamp could've done a lot more with the characters, which are shallow. Probably the point because they're all high school students. I also found it very hard to believe that two students in a small rural Alabama town would be openly gay, but hey maybe they're more progressive in the South than I've been led to believe. 

Okay so get to the nitty gritty, was this book worth it? Eh, not really. It's an okay book, it had a resolution, something happened, so it had that going for it. Should everyone run out and buy this tomorrow? No everyone can take a hard pass on this and wait for the crappy Lifetime movie version of this because I know it's coming...probably. I can't say for sure because I'm not Miss Cleo, that and I don't care enough. If you're looking for a quick read that has some potential, but note you'll always be waiting for it to blossom. Just don't get your hopes up because nothing real with come of it. That's all for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Selection Series by Kiera Cass

I don't think it's any surprise that I love meself some YA! I think I was introduced to a blurb about The Selection series in Newsweek ...kidding it was an issue of Seventeen I was reading at the Dentist? Whatever it doesn't matter, all you need to know is that its awesome! A Dystopian America that's now a smaller fragile absolute monarchy and has a caste system??? Uh yes please! The series (originally a trilogy) is narrated by America Singer, a 5 (there are 8 castes) who lives in post WW3 (could be WW4 I honestly don't remember) Illea province named Carolina. As Artists, 5's are 3rd from the bottom in the caste system. I would equate them to the typical American family today, not well off, but they feel the struggle of staying afloat throughout the year. As per tradition with all the Princes of Illea a selection is held, where 35 girls throughout the kingdom compete for his hand in marriage. Kinda like The Bachelor meets The Hunger Games with less bloodshe...

Dr. Scholl's Actives for Her (Brought to you by Influenster)

Time for another Influenster review! This time its a one product review box, I've only done these for Influenster. I know some people get the themed Voxboxes with all the fun goodies, but I tend to only qualify for the one brand review ones. Its all good though, I still enjoy them and love trying free stuff! Even if I do end up giving it all away like I did my Mary Kay stuff (sans the Lash Primer). For this box I qualified to receive a free pair of Dr. Scholl's Active Series Inserts for Her. They retail for $19.99 at Target and $24.99 at Walgreens.  A little pricey for just one pair of insoles, but then again if you work out a lot or are just a sneaker fan in general, you may want to invest in a pair of quality insoles; not only for comfort, but also to extend the life of your sneaks (trainers, for those across the pond). The 'Her' insoles will be for shoe sizes 5.5-8 & 8.5-11, and the 'Him' insoles will fit 7.5-10 & 10.5-13. They are easy to be shap...

Getting it done!

A Book with More Than 500 Pages: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson A Book Set in Another Country: The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson A Book That was Originally Written in a Different Language: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson A Book Written by an Author with the Same Initials: The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson A Book You Started but Never Finished: The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson I know that this is probably a lot of cheating, like a lot a lot, but these two books covered everythingggg. Its most likely also cheating because I listened to both of these books on "tape". Why would I do such a thing like that? Because I found the first book ( The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo ) incredibly difficult to read. The books are translate from Swedish and I appreciate the time it must take to actually do that, but sometimes the sentence structure isn't always how I would like it to be. Any ...