Skip to main content

Everyday Magic ~ Birchbox June 2016~

Oh Birchbox, we meet again. This will actually be my second to last time reviewing a Birchbox. I will be canceling my subscription after July because they made some changes to their business practices, it was a big deal I'm kinda over it, so let's just say they're jerks. Anywho, let's get to my overall impression shall we? Not a bad month, although I did get another expensive perfume and I'm in love with it, so I'm kinda upset at that. I had a really great January and then the boxes dropped off in quality, so I would rate this box like the past few months, not good, not bad, just okay.
Sample choice: Benefit Gimme Brow Volumizing Fiber Gel in Medium (FS $24):
I was kinda happy this was out sample choice because I've always wanted to try this, but have never really pulled the trigger. I love a good brow pencil, and it wasn't until trying Glossier's Boy Brow that I discovered how fantastic and easy brow gels or "mascaras" could be. This item is just okay. I feel like I should've went with a lighter color and I don't understand this redesigned packaging. I find that the cap is extremely hard to hold, not sure if that is due to the small size of this sample, or the diamond like design. I don't think after trying this I will purchase a full-size because it is nowhere near my Glossier Boy Brow or Maybelline Brow Precise Pencil I've loved for years, also they're cheaper. Final Grade: C

Histories de Parfums This is Not a Blue Bottle (FS $108):
I'm over these over priced perfume samples, because I always end up loving them! The top notes are heavy on the manly scents (orange, metal), the middle notes smell strangely like rubbing alcohol, and the bottom notes are very much vanilla. I've worn this all day and I truly have grown to love it. Now all I have to do is troll the internet for a cheaper price, because I will not pay that much for an ounce. Final Grade: A

Laura Gellar Baked Gellato Illuminator in Gilded Honey (FS $26):
This was the item I was most excited to see in my box! Even though I am (still) drowning in highlighters I had to put this to test right away. My final decision is that it's pretty fantastic. I was nervous that the color, which is quite warm wouldn't be good with my skintone, but it's so blendable and beautiful it's perfect! I can't say enough good things about it. The only strange thing about it is I thought for some reason that it would be soft and buttery, but it's a bit stiff. Not a problem, just wasn't what I was expecting texture wise. Final Grade: A



Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser Starter Kit (FS $25.50):
This product has been circulating in Birchboxes for a few years now, but I've never had the opportunity to try it. Since I'm a skincare junkie this was pretty exciting to get to try. I believe this is the number one skincare item in the UK, so that made me very excited to try it. After only using it once it was just okay. I wasn't sure if i was supposed to use my regular cleanser after. I'll have to play around with it a bit more. Seemed like a lot of work to just take my makeup off though. Final Grade: TBD

Oribe Supershine Moisturizing Cream (FS $49):
Ummm this is expensive. I haven't even tried it yet, and I already know I'll probably like it. This is also for coarse, thick hair which I don't have, so we'll see how it works. It smells really good though. Final Grade: TBD

While I was happy with the samples this month, I'm just not that excited about them. I'm hoping that my last month will be better. I need to cut back on expenses and I feel that it is time to let Birchbox go. I'm not completely sure yet though, so stay tuned for that update. Sample choice is already up for next month and we get to choose from 3 different mascaras. My only problem with that is one of the mascaras is Benefit's They're Real, which I actually just got in my Sephora Play bag and have already gifted away because it's just not for me. I'm thinking about the Smashbox mascara, I tend to like mascaras from them. That's all for now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Scholl's Actives for Her (Brought to you by Influenster)

Time for another Influenster review! This time its a one product review box, I've only done these for Influenster. I know some people get the themed Voxboxes with all the fun goodies, but I tend to only qualify for the one brand review ones. Its all good though, I still enjoy them and love trying free stuff! Even if I do end up giving it all away like I did my Mary Kay stuff (sans the Lash Primer). For this box I qualified to receive a free pair of Dr. Scholl's Active Series Inserts for Her. They retail for $19.99 at Target and $24.99 at Walgreens.  A little pricey for just one pair of insoles, but then again if you work out a lot or are just a sneaker fan in general, you may want to invest in a pair of quality insoles; not only for comfort, but also to extend the life of your sneaks (trainers, for those across the pond). The 'Her' insoles will be for shoe sizes 5.5-8 & 8.5-11, and the 'Him' insoles will fit 7.5-10 & 10.5-13. They are easy to be shap...

The Selection Series by Kiera Cass

I don't think it's any surprise that I love meself some YA! I think I was introduced to a blurb about The Selection series in Newsweek ...kidding it was an issue of Seventeen I was reading at the Dentist? Whatever it doesn't matter, all you need to know is that its awesome! A Dystopian America that's now a smaller fragile absolute monarchy and has a caste system??? Uh yes please! The series (originally a trilogy) is narrated by America Singer, a 5 (there are 8 castes) who lives in post WW3 (could be WW4 I honestly don't remember) Illea province named Carolina. As Artists, 5's are 3rd from the bottom in the caste system. I would equate them to the typical American family today, not well off, but they feel the struggle of staying afloat throughout the year. As per tradition with all the Princes of Illea a selection is held, where 35 girls throughout the kingdom compete for his hand in marriage. Kinda like The Bachelor meets The Hunger Games with less bloodshe...

Putting Some Positive Force Into My Life with my October 2015 Birchbox!

Birchbox yay! Not too bad of a box this month I have to say. Usually I have a lot of gripes about them, but I think 5 out of the 6 items (yes 6! I got a bonus this month) were really nice finds and I've already incorporated them into my beauty routine. So enough blabbering let's get to it! Borghese Fango Purificante Clay Cleanser/Full-size $30 This gentle foaming formula deep cleans like a mask as it soothes skin. I've never used a clay cleanser before, masks weekly, cleanser nope. I've always wanted to try Borghese, so this is the perfect sample for me. It comes in at 1 fl oz, which is your typical cleanser sample size, and I've been using it everyday since I got it! Which is odd because I typically just throw the cleansers I get from BB in a box of stuff I use for the gym or travel, I mean I didn't even use the Acure cleanser yet, sorry Acure. I was surprised that this was very liquidy, and it has a slight perfumey scent. Nothing overwhelming though and...