Skip to main content

So I Read Some Tennessee Williams...

Popsugar Ultimate Reading Challenge
- A Book You Can Finish in a Day
- A Play

The story famously recounts how the faded and promiscuous Blanche DuBois is pushed over the edge by her sexy and brutal brother-in-law, Stanley Kowalski.

Picking a play to read isn't easy. Well I guess it could be for some people, but for those of us who haven't read beyond Macbeth in 12th grade, it's an issue. I tried to pick books that I would never want or need to read at this stage in my life, so settling on Tennessee Williams was a good choice. Of all the books I've read I've never had the pleasure of reading his work, not even while I was in school. Which concludes the story of how I decided to read A Streetcar Named Desire.

I knew little about his play other than the famous "Stella!" line, oh and Josh Hartnett played Kowalski in the movie Hollywood Homicide (bonus points if you know that movie!). I was actually really surprised that the plot didn't really revolve around Stanley calling out "Stella! Stella!". It actually has to do with Stella's sister Blanche who comes for an overextended visit. What surprised me the most was how crazy the sister Blanche was. I know that mental illness isn't something that was talked about in those days or really at all even today still, so I'm guessing Williams wanted to bring this up as a social issue and not just a plot point.

I did find it odd within the first act when she said she didn't drink, but before Stella came home from the bowling alley, Blanche had already broken into the liquor "cabinet". I didn't believe anything that came out of that woman's mouth and I think that was the point. When it came to her vs. Stanley I would actually choose neither. He was a chauvinistic pig and I couldn't stand him, it was nice to see him challenged by Blanche though. The only character who I found endearing was Mitch, the bachelor Blanche tries to sink her crazy claws into. I really enjoyed the contents of the play. The characters didn't really grow as they often do in novels. For instance we knew Stan was a creep and a jerk, but he remains that way the whole time.

I feel as if I'm rambling, because this post is going absolutely nowhere. If you're forced to read A Streetcar Named Desire for school or whatnot, I don't think you'll be disappointed, but I don't know if I'll read any other TW works. I did enjoy it while it lasted though!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Selection Series by Kiera Cass

I don't think it's any surprise that I love meself some YA! I think I was introduced to a blurb about The Selection series in Newsweek ...kidding it was an issue of Seventeen I was reading at the Dentist? Whatever it doesn't matter, all you need to know is that its awesome! A Dystopian America that's now a smaller fragile absolute monarchy and has a caste system??? Uh yes please! The series (originally a trilogy) is narrated by America Singer, a 5 (there are 8 castes) who lives in post WW3 (could be WW4 I honestly don't remember) Illea province named Carolina. As Artists, 5's are 3rd from the bottom in the caste system. I would equate them to the typical American family today, not well off, but they feel the struggle of staying afloat throughout the year. As per tradition with all the Princes of Illea a selection is held, where 35 girls throughout the kingdom compete for his hand in marriage. Kinda like The Bachelor meets The Hunger Games with less bloodshe...

Dr. Scholl's Actives for Her (Brought to you by Influenster)

Time for another Influenster review! This time its a one product review box, I've only done these for Influenster. I know some people get the themed Voxboxes with all the fun goodies, but I tend to only qualify for the one brand review ones. Its all good though, I still enjoy them and love trying free stuff! Even if I do end up giving it all away like I did my Mary Kay stuff (sans the Lash Primer). For this box I qualified to receive a free pair of Dr. Scholl's Active Series Inserts for Her. They retail for $19.99 at Target and $24.99 at Walgreens.  A little pricey for just one pair of insoles, but then again if you work out a lot or are just a sneaker fan in general, you may want to invest in a pair of quality insoles; not only for comfort, but also to extend the life of your sneaks (trainers, for those across the pond). The 'Her' insoles will be for shoe sizes 5.5-8 & 8.5-11, and the 'Him' insoles will fit 7.5-10 & 10.5-13. They are easy to be shap...

Getting it done!

A Book with More Than 500 Pages: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson A Book Set in Another Country: The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson A Book That was Originally Written in a Different Language: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson A Book Written by an Author with the Same Initials: The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson A Book You Started but Never Finished: The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson I know that this is probably a lot of cheating, like a lot a lot, but these two books covered everythingggg. Its most likely also cheating because I listened to both of these books on "tape". Why would I do such a thing like that? Because I found the first book ( The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo ) incredibly difficult to read. The books are translate from Swedish and I appreciate the time it must take to actually do that, but sometimes the sentence structure isn't always how I would like it to be. Any ...